The second week of Kevin Spacey’s #MeToo-era trial begins Tuesday in New York — but there are no criminal charges.
Stage and screen star Anthony Rapp sued Spacey, accusing him of assault, battery and intentional infliction of emotional distress when Rapp was 14 years old. The trial began with jury selection Thursday in Manhattan.
Here’s what you need to know about Spacey, Rapp, the lawsuit and the case so far.
WHAT RIGHTS AGAINST KEVIN SPACEY ARE CONTAINED IN THIS LAWSUIT?
Rapp said he attended a party at Spacey’s Manhattan apartment in 1986 when he was 14 and performing in the Broadway play Precious Sons.
At the end of the night, a drunk Spacey reportedly picked up Rapp, placed him on his bed and climbed on top of him. Rapp said Spacey, then 26, held him tight, but he managed to break free and left the apartment.
“I was pinned under him. I didn’t know what to do,” she testified last week.
Rapp filed a lawsuit in 2020 and is seeking up to $40 million in damages and punitive damages. He is expected to resume his testimony on Tuesday.
WHO IS ANTHONY RAPP?
Rapp is an actor who made his Broadway debut at 10. He later starred on Broadway in “Six Degrees of Separation,” “You’re A Good Man Charlie Brown” and had a breakout role as Mark Cohen in the Tony- and Pulitzer Prize-winning musical “Rent.” His screen credits include “Adventures in Babysitting,” “Dazed and Confused” and currently the Paramount+ series “Star Trek: Discovery.”
He was the first man to publicly accuse Spacey of inappropriate sexual intentions in 2017.
WHAT IS SPACEY SAYING ABOUT RAPP’S CLAIMS?
Following the allegations in 2017, Spacey tweeted that he had no recollection of meeting Rapp.
“But if I then behaved as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for my profoundly inappropriate drunken behavior,” he said.
Spacey had never been open about his sexuality before, but said Rapp’s story encouraged him to come out as gay. Many observers thought it was an odd time for Spacey to address his sexuality, or even saw his revelation as an attempt to deflect blame.
Spacey’s lawyers said in a legal filing that Rapp’s claims are, quite simply, false and never happened.
On Thursday, a lawyer for Spacey suggested that Rapp should file a lawsuit because he is angry about his own stalled career.
“He was bitter that he wasn’t getting openly gay roles,” Jennifer L. Keller said. His team also suggested the allegations were a product of a young actor’s inability to tell the difference between real life and a scene he performed on Broadway 8. times a week.
WHAT OTHER LEGAL BATTLES IS SPACEY FACING?
In the UK, Spacey faces charges of sexually assaulting three men a decade or more ago. He pleaded not guilty in July during a hearing at London’s Central Criminal Court. He is expected to stand trial there next year.
In a separate case, a Los Angeles judge ruled in August that Spacey and his production companies must pay the producers behind the Netflix series “House of Cards” close to $31 million for damages he suffered from the firing of 2017 for what the streaming giant said. the sexual harassment of crew members.
WHAT ABOUT OTHER ALLEGATIONS AGAINST SPACEY?
Several people have accused Spacey, but the legal record is mixed. The late Scandinavian writer Ari Benn, once married into Norway’s royal family, accused Spacey of fondling him at a Nobel Peace Prize concert, but apparently never pursued legal action. Spacey has not commented on the allegations.
The only US criminal case so far brought against Spacey ended with prosecutors in Massachusetts dropping the indecent assault and battery charges after the accuser refused to testify about a missing cellphone that the defense said was key for the case. The accuser, who said Spacey groped him at a Nantucket bar, also dropped a lawsuit.
A massage therapist in Los Angeles also had a lawsuit accusing Spacey of sexual assault, but the lawsuit was dropped after the accuser died, the New York Times reported.
Rapp originally filed the lawsuit along with an anonymous plaintiff known as CD, who also accused Spacey of assaulting him when he was 14 years old. CD was removed from the case after a judge ordered him to reveal his identity.
WHAT ARE SPACEY AND RAPP DOING NOW?
Spacey — who, after the allegations broke, was infamously cut from the now-finished All the Money in the World and replaced by Christopher Plummer as J. Paul Getty — has recently re-emerged from Hollywood exile with appearances in several films, such as the thriller “Peter Five Eight”, the historical drama “1242 — Gateway To The West” and the Franco Nero-directed drama “The Man Who Drew God”.
Rapp is filming the fifth season of “Star Trek: Discovery,” just released his movie “Scrap,” and has been touring with his one-man show, “Anthony Rapp: Without You,” about grief, hope and triumph. He has spoken on behalf of the victims of #MeToo.
Associated Press reporter Larry Neumeister contributed from New York.