- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle reportedly want to edit parts of their upcoming documentaries, report says
- Netflix reportedly stands by Sussexes filmmakers who want to keep current documentary content
- The project is said to contain ‘truth bombs’ about King Charles III, Queen Consort Camilla, Prince William and Kate Middleton
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly at loggerheads with Netflix and their own production team over their upcoming documentaries, according to a report.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have reportedly backtracked on the content of the project and want to edit parts of the documentaries, which were reportedly shot for more than a year, according to Page Six.
However, Netflix is reportedly standing by the Sussexes’ filmmakers, including Oscar-nominated director Liz Garbus, who want to keep the current content of the documentary, unnamed sources told the agency.
“Harry and Meghan are having second thoughts about their own story, their own project,” a Netflix-connected source told Page Six this week.
Another unnamed industry source claimed the royal couple are “panicked because they’re trying to tone down even the most basic language. But it’s their story, from their own mouths.”
Prince Harry, 38, and Markle, 41, want to re-edit the documentary following Queen Elizabeth II’s death last month because it is said to contain “numerous truth bombs” about the royal family, including the new monarch King Charles III, Queen Wife Camilla, Prince William and Kate Middleton, according to the report.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s relationship with the royal family reportedly remains strained after the couple decided to step back from their royal roles in 2020 and made explosive revelations during an interview with Oprah Winfrey last year, including allegations of racism and of Prince Harry’s claims that he was cut. financially from his father.
However, unnamed sources recently told the outlet that Prince Harry and Markle are revisiting the show, which is produced by their own production company Archewell Productions, even before Britain’s longest-reigning monarch dies on September 8.
“They’ve made significant requests to walk away from the content they’ve provided themselves — to the extent that some Netflix staff believe that if granted, it would effectively halt the project indefinitely,” the Netflix source claimed to Page Six. “Netflix stands with filmmakers.”
Netflix reportedly wanted the documentaries to air immediately after The Crown Season 5, which premieres on November 9, despite the Duke and Duchess’ preference for a 2023 release for their project.
The unnamed industry source claimed to the outlet that the streaming platform has “made it clear” that the doc will go ahead.
The International Business Times was unable to independently verify the information. Netflix and a representative for the Sussexes did not respond to Page Six’s requests for comment.
In September 2020, the couple signed a multi-year deal with Netflix to produce content with their non-profit, Archewell’s Media Group, just six months after stepping down as royals. The original deal included documentaries, documentaries, feature films, scripted shows and children’s programming.
In an interview with The Cut in August, Markle didn’t directly confirm what their Netflix project would show, but teased, “The part of my life that I haven’t been able to share, that people haven’t been able to see, is the story of our love.”
Markle also praised director Garbus, who is known for her acclaimed documentaries such as “Love Marilyn” and “The Farm: Angola”, describing her as an “incredible” filmmaker.
The Duchess said she does not know what has been reported about their Netflix project and will leave it up to her publicist and the streaming platform to decide what can be shared.
Unnamed sources told Page Six that the Sussexes and Netflix are believed to have the right to final edit the project, not the filmmakers.
King Charles III is said to be awaiting the release of Prince Harry and Markle’s documentary.
Unidentified royals suggested to the paper that the King may decide whether or not to allow the couple’s children, Archie, 3, and Lilibet, 1, to use prince and princess titles depending on the content of the documentaries and the prince’s upcoming memoir Harry, which were also postponed after the Queen’s death.