It’s that time of year again — the breeze is cooling, the leaves are falling, and Apex Legends is hosting its fourth annual Halloween event, Fight or Fright. Much about this event is the same as it always has been — players will have the chance to play Shadow Royale LTM on a Halloween version of a popular map, creepy cosmetics will be available in the shop, and Revenant will be the usual scary of hijinks. But this season, there’s one major difference: Confirming last week’s leaks, the even trailer revealed that, for the first time in Apex Legends history, Shadow Royale will be played on a new map: Olympus After Dark.
Previously, Shadow Royale matches (and in Year 1, Shadowfall) took place exclusively in the “realm of Shadows”, an alternate dimension in which King’s Canyon has no sun and the Syndicate has been overthrown by the Revenant, who is worshiped as a god. from his army of Shadows. The legends themselves can transform into Shadows during these matches, giving them incredible speed and power that makes the game fast-paced and fun. The Shadow Realm is referred to as “the Beta Plane” and appears to be an important location in Apex lore.
Things went differently in this dimension… and the vines weren’t so kind to Olympus without a group of Legends to stop them.
How did they get there in the first place? The Beta plane is full of mystery… pic.twitter.com/8rvDpXxcEe
— David (@frozenfroh) September 29, 2022
However, despite recent developer comments claiming that players are unlikely to see future events with multiple LTMs, Apex’s next in-game event is just that. From October 4th to November 1st, players will see three LTMs rotate on a weekly basis. The program is as follows:
- October 1-11: Shadow Royale on Olympus After Dark
- October 11-18: Gun Run in Estates After Dark, Skull Town and Fragment East
- October 18-25: Check in Labs After Dark, Barometer and Lava Siphon
- October 25 – November 1: Shadow Royale on Olympus After Dark
Based on the names of some POIs, it looks like players will experience Gun Run in a sunless version of Autumn Estates and play Control while exploring an even creepier-than-usual version of Singh Labs, in addition to the standard Shadow Royale LTM.
Of course, no Apex Legends event would be complete without cosmetics. While the event is live, a whole host of new cosmetics will be available for purchase in the store. This isn’t a collectible event, meaning there’s no Heirloom Weapon to unlock by purchasing these cosmetics, but if you’re looking to give your favorite character a haunting new look, these skins will definitely do the trick. Some skins are completely new, while others, such as this riff on Clocktane’s skinappear to be refreshing colors of previously released cosmetics.
Wraith’s Voidwalker skin and Pathfinder’s Memoir Noir will once again be available for purchase during the event, so if you missed out on getting these skins the first time around, now’s your chance to get them.
During the last two weeks of the event, the store will sell various cosmetics from previous Halloween events. Check out Respawn’s blog post about the event for a closer look at everything available for purchase during the event.
Finally, the event update will bring the following changes to the Control LTM:
- NEW Timed Event: MRB Timed Event (Obtain the MRB and deploy it to create a temporary spawn point for your team).
- Updated timed event sequence so the Bonus Capture event is the 3rd event to trigger, now also rewards twice the score of before (old: 100 score, new: 200 score).
- You can now Ping Zones from the Spawn screen.
- For controller players. Automatically place the cursor at the best playback point when placed on the playback screen.
- Players automatically collect the cannons if they walk near them.
- Players can now emote on the Intro Podium screen.
- The Hammond Labs map now takes place in Olympus After Dark.
- Updates to Weapon Loadouts.
- Updated weapons in Weapon Loadouts to have the same attachments available at the same levels as BR (except scopes).
- In the spirit of Olympus After Dark. Weapons that support Threat Scopes/Sights have them as an option in the optic selection menu in the Loadout Selection Menu.
- Ping with special needs for healing items.
- Updates to the playback logic that should fix some rare playback issues (such as moving to the playback screen with no points to select).
- Play system tuning to further try to prevent issues where players spawn in front of enemies, or too close to enemies.
Apex Legends is free to play on console and PC. A mobile version of the game, Apex Legends Mobile, is available for download on Android and iOS devices.
GameSpot may receive a commission from retail offers.
The products discussed here were independently selected by our editors. GameSpot may receive a share of the revenue if you purchase anything featured on our site.